Genesis XL5 XL6 XL7 XLp XLAIR Hand-Crafted Drone Frame
XL5 XL6 XL7 XLp XLAIR Hand-Crafted Drone Frame from Cyclone FPV
This hand-crafted, custom-made, and built-to-order drone frame is strong, versatile, and completely customizable. Designed, tested, and built by owner Tarek Maalouf, the Genesis series frame remains one of his pride and joys.
"I refuse to allow anyone, whether it be a Cyclone FPV employee or a mass production company, to cut, build, sand, or otherwise involve themselves in any part of the production of my Cyclone FPV frames. When you order a Cyclone FPV Genesis, you can have peace of mind knowing that I am the only person who will be involved in the entire process. From selecting the sheets of carbon fiber to laying out the CNC, fine-point hand-cutting, hand-sanding, hand-buffing, hand-cleaning, and assembly, I am going to be the only one involved from start to finish. This is what my customers deserve and this is what I am willing to give them. Nothing less." ~ Tarek Maalouf
- Material: 3K Carbon Fiber
- Wheelbase: 220-250mm (depending on the angle and arm length)
- Motor Options: M3 16x16 and M3 19x19
- Stack Options: 30x30 and 20x20 (front and rear dual-stack options)
- Camera Hole Position: 25mm with side-plate setup, 19mm with XLp prints, 19mm with DJI Air Prints
- Space Height: 20mm XL Series and XLAIR, 10mm XLp Series,
- Prop Size: 5", 6", and 7" (custom sizes for 8" and up also available)
- Top Plate Thickness: 2mm Carbon Fiber
- Bottom Plate Thickness: 3mm Carbon Fiber
- Arm Thickness: 4mm Carbon Fiber with ArmLok(TM)
- Side Plate Thickness: 2mm Carbon Fiber
- Total Net Weight: 145g (estimated)
3D STL Files:
Here are some STL files that you can use if you want to print your own camera mounts, back mounts, etc...
GoPro Session Enclosure: (click the file name to download)
- One File with 3 Items:
- Rear Low Profile Plate
- Front Right Low Profile Plate
- Front Left Low Profile Plate
- Zip File of 5 Items:
- DJI Air Unit Mounting Brackets (L/R)
- DJI Air Unit Camera Mounts (L/R)
- Rear Antenna, XT60, LED Bracket
The new Genesis-XL5, which officially replaces all the Genesis series of frames, has been modified in those very specific areas as well as a few other design and structure-dependent areas in order to following areas in order to earn its spot as the one and only Genesis from Cyclone FPV. Some of the final changes and modifications are:
- Base Frame - Cut and hand-finished 3mm 3K Carbon Fiber with M3 mounting holes to fit both 30x30 and 20x20 stacks. The frame length has also been extended 30+mm in order to make room for additional components such as Buzzer Finders and extended top plates for batteries. The frame has also been designed to fit two independent 30x30 or 20x20 stacks front to back. This feature allows for greater options in component selection.
- Top Plate - Cut and hand-finished 2mm 3K Carbon Fiber with M3 mounting holes and a wider carbon fiber run to reinforce the mounting holes. The top plate has been extended 30+mm to allow more room for larger LiPo batteries and dual strap protection. Additionally, the top plate has also seen a 5mm forward shift if HD Camera Enclosure mounting holes as well as the addition of three openings to allow for wire passthrough and XT60 top mount abilities. The last change resulted in the addition of two cut-outs at the back of the plate which allow the XT60 and VTX Antenna bracket to fit and lock in place.
- Side Support and Camera Plate - Cut and hand-finished 2mm 3K Carbon Fiber with M3 and M2 holes, the side plates have been modified from front to back. The front location has seen a shift of the M2 FPV Camera mounting holes roughly 5mm back to provide greater protection to the camera during flight. In addition to this, the rear aluminum standoff was moved from the lower portion of the plates to the top portion, thus increased the strength and support to the battery plate and also to each side plate. Finally, the rear portion of the side plates have been shaped to allow for interlocking XT60 and VTX Antenna mounts which not only lock into the side plates but now also lock into the top plate. These changes help to reinforce each point of the frame without increasing weight.
- Arms - Cut and hand-finished 4mm 3K Carbon Fiber arms feature our patent-pending ArmLOK(TM) design for reduced arm movement during flight and impact. Three M3 mounting holes have been added to give a solid and tight-fitting while the ArmLOK(TM) interlocks the two front and rear arms together. Additionally, the Genesis-XL5 is designed to fit 7" arms without having to change, add, or modify any existing frame components. The Arms on the Genesis series will feature the ArmLOK (TM) design or our new 45-degree angle cut (for longer arms and heavier weight).
- Back Plate - Added as an option, the Onyx printed plate is designed to provide optional features for VTX antenna mounting, XT60 mounting, and various other mounting options such as buzzers, etc. The STL files will be supplied so that you can print your own or modify our design to meet your needs. The backplate interlocks with the carbon fiber side plates and carbon fiber top plate to provide a much stronger and reliable fit.
- Height and Standoffs - The frame is fitted with six 20mm aluminum standoffs, one in the front directly below the FPV Camera, two for the front portion of the top plat to fasten to the bottom plate, two for the back portion of the top plate to fasten to the bottom plate, and one to fit directly under the top plate and bring the two side plates together. Although six are provided, the design allows for the removal of the internal standoff that joins the two side plates together in the event that your build requires more room for wiring or component placement.
- Assembly - The Genesis-XL7 comes fully assembled to ensure that all pieces fit properly and securely. The frame is wrapped and then shipped ready to go. All screws are color-coded to reflect their specific size and help to avoid any mix-up during your build.
- Weight - The weight of the Genesis-XL5 (as seen in the pictures) is 155g. It is solid and can handle a great deal of weight such as larger LiPo's, HD Cameras (GP Session, etc), and various other options. The frame also comes with four self-adhesive rubber landing pads which can be added by you once it is unpacked.
- Warranty - The Genesis-XL5 comes with a lifetime warranty for the following parts:
- Top LiPo Plate
- Side Support and FPV Camera Plates
- Bottom Base Frame
- Arms, Standoffs, Screws, and Printed Back Plate, come with our standard manufacturer warranty against defects.
* Please note that at the time that the Genesis-XL5 was posted, I had not completed a live build with components so the only images I can offer are the frame-only version until the live build is completed later this week. The Genesis-XL7 has been placed on this page as a full-build modem since the frame is identical and can be a good reference when deciding what components you can fit.
Video Tutorials and Instructions: